Friday, November 09, 2007

Knowing the exact instant we get frost

The other night, Brian and I were sleeping snugly in our bed when we were awoken by some unidentified beeping. It woke up Owen too - CURSES! It was 5:30 am, and he's a light sleeper from 5 onwards! Anyhow, we finally figured out what it was: our newish indoor/outdoor thermometer. We got it this summer sometime so that we would always know how freaking hot it was outside. Apparently it has an alarm on it to tell you when the temperature goes down below 37 degrees (Farenheit, for our UK readers). Who cares!! I am sleeping. What am I going to do, run out and cover my (non-existent) roses with blankets? If I cared that something was frost-sensitive, wouldn't I take care of it BEFORE I WENT TO SLEEP?

We couldn't figure out why it had come on because there was no obvious indicator on the thermometer that there was a low-temp alarm on. So it was difficult to turn said alarm off. I was hoping it was just a fluke, so the next night we went to bed and forgot all about it. Of course it was not a fluke, and the alarm went off at 1 am. Fortunately it only woke me up. Unfortunately, it woke me up. I couldn't get back to sleep. I was annoyed, so I just took the batteries out. So now we have no thermometer.

Thats okay, its cold (finally!). I don't need a thermometer to tell me that!

2 comments:

peppersnaps said...

OMG, that's pretty funny. What a strange feature for a thermometer? You're so right -- who cares?

Madeleine said...

Wow that's kinda nutty.