Tuesday, May 20, 2008

CSA week 3: Drowning in lettuce

I eat a huge salad every day at lunch, so I didn't think this would be a problem, but I am drowning in lettuce. I got behind last week on my salad consumption because I didn't go to work for lunch on two of the weekdays, and on the weekends I am less strict with my diet and eat leftovers and no salad. That put me one head of lettuce ahead on Thursday when our next box came, which contained another bag of spring mix and two more heads of lettuce. I can see now how this can get overwhelming!

We got a lot of greens last week: two kinds of kale, more spring mix, more cilantro, more arugula and some bok choi. Other than greens we got some broccoli. Broccoli is mostly gone to salads, So now I've got arugula waiting to be used, cilantro (waiting for taco night which is tomorrow) and bok choi, which will be stirfried in much the same way that we did with the 6 heads of baby bok choi we got last week (yummy). I am saving the last bunch of kale at the moment hoping for another bunch in Thursday's box. This week we used kale in:
Lentil soup (Owen loved this - the things he likes just crack me up sometimes)
Mashed potatoes

Both of these were great, although Brian prefers regular mashed potatoes. I think its the olive oil flavor that he doesn't like.

We also signed up for strawberries, an extra, but they were very good.

Since we got a lot of greens and not much else, we went to the Farmers' Market on Saturday and got some extras: radishes, baby turnips (these came in our box in week 2 and were great! taste like horseradish without the bite) and cauliflower. Purple cauliflower. How could I pass that up??

No comments: