Friday, March 31, 2006

Vote for me: The naughty judge

Last week or so, a bunch of those election-time roadside signs began to appear. There is one posted across the street at the intersection when I turn out of my development, so I see it every day when I go to work. I kept meaning to post something about it, but I kept forgetting.
I was just standing here, brushing my teeth, when Brian called. He had just left the house on his way to work. He said:
"Oh! I've been meaning to say something to you about this for a while and I kept forgetting. Have you seen that sign for the judge candidate when you pull out of the development? What the hell? Why would you want to vote for THAT guy?"

Too bad Brian isn't an American citizen, so he can't vote.

The reason we're perplexed by this campaign is that the sign says something like:

Vote for "Naughty" Nauseef for Judge

This seems like a bizarre nickname to be using in your quest to become a District Court Judge. It sounds more like a mobster or something. I think if I were on trial and found that "Naughty" Nauseef was my judge, I'd be a little concerned.

I found this article which discusses the fact that this guy submitted his paperwork to be a candidate for this position, and it says that the nickname is based on a mispronunciation of his name. Which is great, but that doesn't mean you have to use it in your campaign. Because you are not twelve.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Hi! I live where you live, and I've seen the same sign... I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and say that he just has a great sense of humor - it would be like a Ph.D.'ed teacher with a sign that said "Moronic Matthews." Oh, the hilarious irony! But then, he could just be a dipstick. We'll see. Love your blog - your pictures are great!